- 2 tbsp olive oil 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano
- 2 tbsp fresh basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1/2 head of cauliflower
- 1 can crushed or diced tomatoes and the juice....I used the crushed...still a few chunks but not too many.
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 can large white beans(fava, lima), drained & rinsed
- 4 cups raw chopped kale
- 6-8 cups water, depending on how brothy you like it. I like lots of broth!
- Salt & pepper to taste, but I only gave one grind of salt.
Wednesday, July 22, 2009
Kale & Bean Soup w/ Crostini
This is an excellent soup! A very satisfying savory filling healthy meal. I like Kale cooked to the consistency more of spinach. In this soup I added the Kale when I added the broth and it needed to be cooked a bit longer. However it was still pretty good. Next time I am going to saute the Kale first and then add it to the soup in the final stages. Concerning the herbs, you really can add whatever you have as long as you have a mix of fresh and dried. The turmeric gives the cauliflower nice color but doesn't turn it into an Indian dish by any means. Although I will definitely be making it that way soon. The two beans were a perfect selection for the soup. I like the contrast in size and the beans never got too mushy. To serve, I broiled some old baguette slices and brushed it with butter and Italian herbs...placed two pieces in each bowl and ladled the soup over it and sprinkeled a bit of parm...extra tasty! mmmMMM Kale & Bean Soup w/Crostini